Saturday, February 20, 2016

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT


DON’T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

In A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, the Ghost of Christmas Present revealed to Scrooge two frightening children that clung to his robe. One was a girl named Want, the other a boy named Ignorance. The ghost said to Scrooge "Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom unless the writing be erased."

From Donald Trump and his bigoted rants about immigrants stealing American jobs (immigrants only account for 180,000 job losses-most of these jobs are jobs no one else wants to do, while jobs sent to China account for 3.2 million job losses) to B.O.B. declaring the Earth is flat, ignorance is running amok in this country.  As Charles Dickens wrote, ignorance is dangerous to our society and to our democracy.

The last two elections, we had to listen to ignorant people argue that global warming isn’t real. Then it was global warming isn’t caused by humans.  These stupid arguments set our battle against climate change back by decades.

When I debate animal farmers, I will tell them how consuming animals is destroying our planet and our health. I freely cite my sources. Usually the farmers will reply that I am wrong. Repeatedly I will ask them for their sources that prove I am wrong. I never get any.  One farmer even told me “We are our sources. We don’t need any other sources.” That is the attitude that is destroying our planet and our country.

I am vegan not because I don’t know, but because I do know.  I have done the research. I know how animal agriculture mistreats animals. I know animals are intelligent and deserving of our respect. I know animal agriculture is destroying our planet and our health. I have the sources. I do not expect everyone to take my word for it. I would encourage everyone to do their own research.  Please tear yourself away from the TV for a few minutes a day and read. No matter how old you get, never stop learning. 

PLEASE READ AND LEARN. LET’S STOMP OUT IGNORANCE.

 

Resources on health concerns










Resource on cavemen


Resources on environment




Plus, see my previous blog post for a reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment